How important is ‘keyword’ in an article and how to choose it?
Choosing keyword for a blog post is tricky. There are hundreds and thousands of suggestions on choosing the right keyword for a blog post by experts. The concept of ‘right keyword’ is difficult to define. Choosing the right keyword for a blog post depends on so many factors. . Keyword relevance is very important for a post article. The article must spin around the keyword offering information to the visitors. If a visitor is looking for ‘Keyword tools’ through search engines, an article mentioning all keyword tool related topics like list of keyword tools, how to use keyword tool to optimize a blog post, what factors to look into a keyword tool while choosing them are all relevant and not a topic on keywords, long tail keywords. The blogger has to answer the following questions before choosing the right keyword for his blog post
Questions about keyword?
The answers for the following questions will suggest the right keyword or key phrase or keyword variation or long tail keyword for a blog post.
- What is a keyword?
A keyword is a word around which the topic moves. When you type a Keyword or key phrase or a question about a topic on search engine browser will display thousands of results about the keyword. The more specific the keyword variations, the more relevant the results will be.
- What is the objective of a keyword in a blog post?
The purpose of a keyword is to rank the blog post in the first place of search results. The reason of this objective is obvious. Unless the blog post appears in the first position or ranking first in the search results, the blogger will not get the traffic to his post. No traffic, no recognition and related benefits.
- How will a keyword rank on the search results?
The problem about keyword ranking starts with this question. It is easy to identify a keyword around which the article can be spinned. But how to rank the article in the first place. There are many issues that are to be uncovered before going to rank for the keyword. First and fore most problem is search volume. There are keyword tools that display search volume for a given keyword. The volume gives information like, how may visitors have searched for the keyword on a search browser in a day or month. If the volume is more choose that keyword for your post topic. Is that enough? No. Most important is the content you offer using that keyword. Is it useful to the visitor? Check this factor. Is that all? No again. Read article from others that are listed in search results and compare your content. If your content give more unique information than what others gave.You are done.
- What is keyword relevancy?
If your blog is about promoting affiliate links and earn money the relevant keywords are products and services you are promoting, review articles about the products and services, articles explaining how to promote their blog through promotion techniques like directory submissions, forum submissions, guest post blogs are all relevant . Definitely not an article about affiliate programs. An article about affiliate program is irrelevant in this context because you are already an affiliate and promoting affiliate links.
- What are keyword variations? How to utilise them in an article?
Keyword is a single word, keyword phrase is two to three words together. Keyword variations are keyword followed by content. Let us understand in detail. Health is a keyword. This keyword covers general topics about health. This keyword when typed in the browser console gives results like – definition of health, organisations that have domain name as health, information about health organisations and so on. If anyone is coining an article on this keyword has to meet tough competition from big companies and health organisations. So the content on this single word should be more informative to outbeat other health related organisations to get search engine recognition. It is difficult unless you have domain with this keyword, you yourself is a health professional with sufficient health related knowledge.
Keyword variations for keyword ‘health’ may be women’s health, men’s health, health disorders, seniors health and so on. More variations under the two word phrase will be three word phrases like women’s common disease, men;s common disease and so on. When the keyword is more than two words it is termed as longtail or long tail keyword. These long phrase keyword have less competition but effective for search ranking. But the hitch is long tail keyword will have less search volume or no searches at all.
How search engines identify a keyword in an article?
I did not find an answer for this question. I changed the question in many ways. I asked questions like
- How Google search engine identifies the keyword in an article?
- How do search engines identify ‘keyword’ in a blog post?.
No relevant results displayed. There was no direct answer for these questions. A variation in the question lead me to some idea on how search engine understand an article and a keyword in an article. The question is
- How to identify a keyword in an article?
If the article is written about a topic and the totpc word appears in the ‘title’, in the ‘first sentence’ of the article, the ‘variations of the word’ in the article at various places, and in the ‘last sentence’ is probably the target ‘keyword’. This conclusion is also denied by Google experts. What Google says about keyword
What Google says about Keyword ranking?
Google only give hints but not facts. Hints are suggestions but not how they work, their tec details to rank a page. The developer has the task to understand every Google press releases or experts comments and analyse the results for himself. Same about keywords. Google says Keyword heading tags and keyword in the first sentence is not important for ranking, but the context of the page. In the words of John Mueller, Google switzerland
Keyword tools are used for two purposes.
- To develop the article around a keyword. You can choose the prime keyword through keyword tools.
- To find out keyword variations that can be used for the development of the topic. This will help the blogger to avoid dumping the same keyword in his topic and can use keyword variations to develop the information
- Identify volume of searches for different target keywords, keyword phrases and long tail keywords. This will help the blogger to choose the most searched keyword for his topic.
- Helps the advertisers to choose less cost per click bidding to promote their brand
- Gives ideas to developers and planners about the competitors keyword planning and match their strategies.
List of keyword tools for developers, planners and bloggers
- Keywordtool.io: This keyword tool helps to find out keyword for your YouTube, Google, Bing, Amazon, eBay, Play Store, Instagram, Twitter.
- Word stream: Here each keyword is analysed with competition score, and gives estimations of CPC. You can control your advertising budget.
- Google ads: https://ads.google.com/home/: This tool is for advertisers. It can also be used by blog developers to identify keywords for their niche. You have to have a google ad account , log in to the account and then use this tool to plan your budget for bidding.
- Word tracker: As this tool is aimed at SEO, you get all information about the keyword, volume, competitors using those keywords and suggestions.
- SEO book:
Any keyword in the form of question like where to buy or what to but about a product or service are considered as transactional keywords, These keywords leads to ultimate purchase. The question will be ‘where to buy a DSLR Camera? Here in this question they have already got information about cameras and what to buy it.
Informative keywords are to seek information on a topic because they are either interested in that subject or to further their query with ad on information. An example is to know about deadly disease, so that they can prevent them. Travel information to plan a trip.
Commercial keyword are keywords that may convert visitors into customers. leads to conversions. People or brands selling tour packages can use keywords like, discount packages, family packages as their keywords.