The major Anthrax threat to the world in the coming years is anthrax spores are used as agents to bioterrorist attack. Biological agents like anthrax spores can sicken livestock, crop and humans seriously causing fatal death. The biological gems that causes anthrax is Bacillus anthracis, the bacteria.
Why Anthrax is considered bioterrorist agent – Anthrax Threat
- The tiny spores of anthrax are abundant is nature.
- They can also be produced by humans in laboratories.
- Anthrax spores have longer life span
- Anthrax spores are microscopic in nature and the powder can be mixed with any material like face powders, body sprays, food and water. These spores do not smell or taste.
Anthrax is already used as bioterrorist agent in 2001 through US postal delivery service that killed 5 people and injured many ( Source: Anthrax info.) .
Alongside is the example of the anthrax spores delivered through US Mail in the form of powder. If by accident the cover is opened and inhaled, the spores enter the human body causing illness. Using gloves will prevent the spread of anthrax spores. Anthrax spores through postal mail system is easy as people will not suspect postal covers received.
How to prevent Anthrax threat:
- Placing contaminated items for 30 minutes in boiling water will kill anthrax bacteria thus shortening long life of anthrax spores.
- According to a theory ironing postal letter for 5 minutes with home irons box will kill and decontaminate the anthrax bacteria.
- Avoid contaminated animals in anthrax affected countries and areas. Even though thee is a human vaccine for anthrax it is not recommended in normal circumstances. May be suggested to military area where people will get in contact with effected livestock and material.
Anthrax is not violently seen after 2014 but the threat is still there. When countries think of terroristic attacks through biological media , anthrax is a way. Be ware
Unusual patterns of illness is an indication of anthrax effect. Doctors ca not find this disease which starts as normal flu leading serious pneumonia. More on anthrax at http://bsci425hewins.blogspot.in