Menorrhagia is Common Abnormal Bleeding from Uterus
Excessive or prolonged or both bleeding with blood loss during periods is termed as Menorrhagia. Menorrhagia is a Common Disease. Although heavy menstrual bleeding is a common concern among pre-menopausal women above condition indicates signs of Menorrhagia.
Symptoms of Menorrhagia
Heavy soaking of menstrual flow for hours
- Menstrual periods lasting seven days
- Menstrual flow with blood clots
- Symptoms of anemia Tiredness, fatigue or shortness of breath
Cause for Menorrhagia
Even if heavy bleeding is absent the following conditions may cause Menorrhagia.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Dysfunction of the ovaries. Lack of ovulation
- Uterine fibroids
- Intrauterine device (IUD)
- Pregnancy complications
- Cancer. Rarely, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer and cervical cancer
- Inherited bleeding disorders
The following medical disorders may cause Menorragia
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- anticoagulants (to prevent blood clots)
- hormone medications
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Thyroid problems
- Liver or kidney disease
Treatment for Menorrhagia
Consult your family doctor if the bleeding is heavy other wise normal treatment with non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and hormone therapy will solve the issue. If the doctor decides that the disease is serious surgical methods are adopted as decided by the doctor. For further study on surgical methods read the following heavy period treatment.
If you want to know whether your periods are normal or not take this quiz
You can follow these following Pain relief suggestions for heavy bleeding and keep healthy.
- Take enough rest.
- Hold your knees up to your chest and lie on your side.
- warm up your abdomen with a warm pack, such as a hot water bottle or wheat bag.
- Bath with warm water.
- Do not wear right cloths.
- Do regular exercise.
- Keep our hand on the place where you have pain and rub it smoothly.
- Not too many but take occasional painkillers such as paracetamol, but avoid aspirin.
- Magnesium and vitamin B1 will increase resistance and reduces pain over a period of time.